OmgLolLmaoRoflOmgLolLmaoRofl

Main Audio Favorites Reviews Stats

The Only Thing I Know The Only Thing I Know

Well meant comment

I gove you a 10 for the effort. And I mostly agree, although not to that degree you are suggesting. Personally I think that new technologies really did change our lives. As every innovation, there are good and bad things about it. The internet gives me the opportunity to see my girlfriend, although I moved to another country, to keep in touch with my friends, my real friends that I met in real life, which are scattered across Europe (Russia, Germany, Englandm Switzerland, Austria).

On the other hand the internet keeps me from doing things I would honestly rather do but am to lazy to start: Writing another book, a play or a movie, actually finishing "Crime and punishment" or taking a tour through Britain. Sometimes I thought that it could help getting rid of the internet and the new media altogether. But hey, I need my email account, I need to check the internal university site, I want to see my girlfriend.

For me, basically, it is a matter of the amount you dedicate yourself to something that matters. I spend too much time on the internet, agreed. On the other hand, facebook tells me what event to attend at the campus, or skype provides contact to friends I can meet (and frequently do). While I am not a person who constantly has thousands of people around me (even without the internet, consider this factor!), I still find enough time to meet friends. My personal hope is that I will manage to find things that are interesting enough to stop me from lurking around sites like newgrounds.

Now on to another part of your argument: You should also consider that games can be as high-quality as books. Many games out there (Dragon Age for example) actually teach you something about ethics, history or politics. Much like there can be valuable books, there can be valuable games. Do not condemn the medium.

Ok, mario isn't a game that teaches us about life, but life should not only consist of sophisticated things. There should be room for mindless activity, much like there was centuries ago. If you are able to balance your consumption of whatever medium (just reading all the time is bad, too.) to let it not come in the way of a relatively healthy lifestyle, then whatever leisure activity you chose to indulge in can be justified.

Concerning your personal statement: Maybe, in another time, you'd have a reading or fencing addiction? Have you considered that it may be far more personal than actually social? I think that you have to have a certain mindset to play 3 characters to lvl 80. A mindset that is intrinsic and doesn't involve a "gamer gene", but a more general tendency to waste certain amounts of time for certain things.

My reviewed version of your statement would be: Find a balance in your life. You can do great things, don't lock yourself into your flat and cut all connections. At the same time, feel free to do any leisure activity you like, just don't let it control your life completely. Videogames are not the problem in itself, they are a new and fascinating genre, providing unique opportunities like experiencing a virtual reality. The dark side of videogaming is just that they respond to the weaknesses of certain individuals and suck them in. I consider myself partly being such an individual and I personally tackle this by joining clubs, attending socials, reading and training myself to shut down the computer at an appropriate time.

One last thing: I felt a bit looked down upon by the overall "epicness" of the video. The music, the voice, the presentation created an image of a person who's absolutely sure of his words and doesn't accept differentiation. While you actually contrasted your statements on "virtual" friends with a counter-statement about developing, strong bonded, non-individualistic communities even in gaming, the overall message of yours was pretty strict and unforgiving. Then again, I guess you have to be a bit less differentiated if you want to deliver a message to a wider audience.

As I said, I appreciate the well meant effort, just don't be too radical, generally. Never worked out.

Skull in Connemara Skull in Connemara

Do you respond to all reviews? :D

Nice fbf-madness! Very atmospheric.

TheBoogley responds:

maybe I do and maybe I dont :3

Narwhals Narwhals

Honestly

To be honest, I hate it.

The animation itself is cool, the song too. But I just can't stop seeing all your loop-songs as one idea. And this idea isn't creative whatsoever. So I don't see why I should like an author-own-ripoff.

Bloons Super Monkey Bloons Super Monkey

Great game, ridiculous difficulty

I like the idea. And I love the upgrades. But why the hell is this game so unforgiving when it comes to Game overs? I want to play the later levels, why must it be so difficult? Please adjust.

FWG Evolution FWG Evolution

Incredibly boring

Honestly, I got hellishly bored after about 4 minutes.

Inca Blocks Inca Blocks

Pretty cool

Cool game. The only annoying thing was the open/close animation with those faces. Lagged like hell.

Keep it up :)